Monday 20 July 2009

A Fashion Faux-Pas and Patrick Stewart's Shoes

Today I'm going to talk about yesterday! I spent the day in Stratford-Upon-Avon, the home of William Shakespeare, where the Royal Shakespeare Company was holding an open day. It was a really great day, with opportunities to talk to the artistic associates like directors and producers, and see all the fabulous costumes - a different kind of fashion altogether!

I SAW PATRICK STEWART'S SHOES!!! And David Tennant's! They were from Hamlet 2008 which I was lucky enough to see a production of. They were nothing special really - just black leather dress shoes - but my favourite actor wore them, every day for six months, and so I feel a connection. Crazy, maybe, but true...

You may think this has nothing to do with real fashion, but actually I witnessed several awful faux-pas in Stratford yesterday that need writing about.

1. Leggings as trousers do not work. Especially if the wearer is overweight. If your butt is visible, you're doing something wrong - it looks like you forgot to wear a skirt. No exceptions, even for jeggings (jeans-leggings, the leggings that have denim seams drawn on to make them look like super-skinny jeans). Cover it up, please!

2. Old people cannot dress themselves. They wear rain macs even on sunny days, and little lace-up shoes made of coloured leather - and the floral blouses; save me now! It is my hope that my parents' generation will be slightly better dressed as geriatrics that we may be spared a high street full of frumpy old people as the aging population increases. I say this because in all the talks I went to yesterday the majority of the audience was over sixty and very poorly attired.

3. If you're not sure whether your shoes are going to give you blisters or not, don't wear them. This is my own mistake from yesterday, ladies and gentlemen - I wore some pretty Skechers sandals that I've had for ages, and even though I wore them around the house the day before to soften them up, they still cut into my feet and my dad had to buy plasters while we were out. Embarrassing and painful. Just don't do it.

That's it for today, I'm afraid. I'll try to be more useful tomorrow...and more on topic. But I saw Patrick Stewart's shoes! I couldn't help but tell everyone!

1 comment:

Juan Pablo said...

Exactly! Why can't they give service with a smile anymore?

And Stratford-Upon-Avon? Lucky!! I would love to visit there! Also I laughed out loud at the piece about old people, because as I read it my grandmother was sitting behind me watching TV in a floral dress. LMAO!