Wednesday 29 July 2009

Would you wear a crop top?

I first saw these in Topshop and now it seems they are a 'thing':




All of the above are from Topshop.

Yes, it is the cropped top. Personally, I think these are fine if they're worn over another top - luckily I haven't seen anyone wearing just the crop top, because that would only work on a very skinny person on a very very hot day, the likes of which we are unlikely to see in England until June 2010. Stomachs should not be visible on the general public except if the individual has super-fit abs and is going out to rock it in a club. Everyday high street wear that reveals the wearer's stomach is never appropriate and rarely attractive.

The weird thing is, I haven't seen anyone wearing a crop top at all, except one of my schoolfriends who wore it at the weekend the other day (over another top I hasten to add). Only one person. So who is it wearing these things? Are they sold with a secret warning sewn in only to wear them after dark when nobody's around?

Anyway, my point is that I like them but would probably not buy one myself since they are clearly not essential and I am strapped for cash. But if I was one of those people who can buy new clothes very weekend (like that friend who wore one of these...) then I would certainly consider wearing one, because they're quite quirky and fun. And due to the imbalance between the number of them on the street and on shop hangers, they would certainly set you apart from other shoppers, because nobody else appears to have one!

No comments: